Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Friends

Friends are a blessing. I realized it again this Sunday when Mason and six of his 6 closest buddies saw each other and immediately got this look of pleading in their eyes saying, "Can I sit with them please?!"

It was so fun to watch them! They all sat there so quietly, coloring or drawing, or writing down words. I don't know what they were writing. We have been trying to have Mason write or draw things that he hears Pastor Scott saying so he can learn to pay attention more, but this time I think the boys were just writing stuff to each other. They were obviously tickled. They know that if they don't keep it quiet and still, they won't have this privilege. But as they heard a funny story from the pulpit they giggled and put their hands over their mouths obviously enjoying themselves. Then they snickered about a sticker that changes images when you move it, and they made games for each other to play and puzzles to solve... I wish I had a picture!

I have been so blessed that Mason has had so many close little friends since he was about 4 months old. But all of these relationships are a result of people we as parents put him near. I do see him starting to make good decisions with the friends that are outside of our sphere of influence, but I frequently remind him that it is so important to choose friends who will point him to Christ. I know I need to make prayer for good friends throughout their lives a consistent priority especially as they grow and gain more independence.

When you find a good friend, it is so refreshing. We are so blessed, each one of us, have already found too many to count. There is just nothing like a good friend and I'm thankful Mason is learning what it takes to look for and be a good friend.

With Colson and Cavan
With Max playing with Praying Mantises
Camping with Max, Caleb, Own, Isaiah, Jerett, and Tjaden

At the Jack in the Beanstalk play
Playing and wrestling in the neighborhood with Gabe and Kevin
Bird Watching with Nolan
Exploring with Isaiah

Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another.

Proverbs 13:20 He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.

2 comments:

Williams Family said...

This is a great post....it IS our job as parents to choose our children's friends for a time until they can make wise decisions themselves. Good job...

Thepearsonfamilee said...

I love it. It is very true. It is very painful at times to make these decisions but worth its weight in gold!